Snapshot into our organisation
The EMPOWERMENT GATEWAY vision led to the creation of an organization and market mechanisms capable of maximizing economic value as well as social and environmental value.
- We are a "For-Benefit" organisation.
- We are a Hybrid organisation.
- We combine both "For-Profit" and "Not-For-Profit" methodologies in our business model.
Social and Economic Investing Strategies Value Proposition
We believe that, financial return on investment (ROI) for shareholders on its own, is not enough.
Instead we believe that the inclusion of positive social and environmental contributions that will leave a legacy for future generations results in a business with true value.
Integrating the 4th Economic Sector Model
- We integrate the best values, principles and methodologies found in the three traditional sectors:- the public, the private and the NGO sector.
- We apply the appropriate trading and economic principles.
- We measure the impact, not only on bottom line (ROI) but also on the social, ethical and environment value generation (SROI).
- We focus on sound business practices to empower stakeholders.
- We provide methodologies and platforms to enable investors money to work together with their ideals.
- We focus on the form, function and leverage of relationships to maximize total value.
A Brief History
Laurinda Seabra, a Portuguese refugee from Angola that lived in South Africa since 1974, but is currently based in Portugal, and Joe Stokes a South African citizen and her life partner, are the co-founders of the EMPOWERMENT GATEWAY concept.
With the assistance of a group of think-alike friends and colleagues located in Portugal, UK and South Africa, they have since 2004 dedicated their entire time and all their resources to the development of an organisation that would meet their vision and mission.
Prior to 2004, Laurinda was assisted by many individuals spread all over the world that shared her vision for a better and more balanced world. Many of them are still around today, and continue to provide support, guidance and commitment to the founders vision and mission in life.
It has been a journey of discovery.
"We have learned from our past mistakes, we sought solutions, we tested, redesigned, and re-tested the systems … and although at times the price seemed high, and we were tempted to give this vision up, we have nonetheless persevered, by constantly re-focusing on our vision and wanted outcomes".
Overview of The Path and Outcome
The business model, as it currently stands, is the result of nearly thirty years of active research, development, pilot projects and business ventures. Over the years we have focused on:
- The empowerment of individuals towards self-sustainability and growth.
- Job seeking training and skills development programs.
- Creation of financial sustainability through self-employment initiatives.
- Creation of a learning and knowledge culture.
- Creation of win-win processes.
- Focus on ethics and values built on solid foundations.
- How to reduce the impact of dysfunctional family units, individuals and communities.
- Assistance programs and initiatives for drug and alcohol addicted youth.
Overview of The Business Model
- EMPOWERMENT GATEWAY is a Community Focused Organisation (CFO) that facilitates the re-engineering of traditional business structures, platforms and systems into new and more holistic trading platforms.
- The Business Development Processor (BDP), is an amalgamation of business management support tools, which include business development, business incubation and nurturing from start-up right through to maturity stage.
- Socio-Economic innovation principles, which are solidly grounded in a Social Responsibility and Sustainability framework.
- Developing bridges between the Economic, Socio and Public structures thus positioning us strongly as an active facilitator in redressing economic and social inequalities.